OTL301 – Post 2

The reading material on teaching presence has expanded my view of the teacher’s role in an online classroom.  Previously I described organization as an effective practice in my experience as an online learner. I know understand that this is only one of many important aspects of teaching online and all three categories described must be carefully considered and put into action.  The categories described as design and organization, facilitating discourse, and direct instruction are all essential to a positive learning environment.

In my last post I talked about my experience with a well organized course and how clear expectations and outlines helped me feel supported in my learning experience. The idea of ‘design and organization’ as the first category of teaching presence supports this and confirms my ideas.  However, after reading this article on teaching presence, I see how enhanced direct instruction from the teacher could have contributed to the overall teaching presence and made my experience even better.