OTL201 – Post 2

My introduction was a short glimpse into my life via a slideshow of everyday photographs. I feel as though this was a good way to give others a feel for my personal priorities, hobbies and interests. According to Lesson 1, this type of information can help group members find common ground and relate to others in the group in order to open up communication lines. Showing photos of my real life portrays a sense of vulnerability which I think helps others see me as a “real person” rather than just text on a screen.

One improvement that could be made to this post if it were for an online class is to also focus on the purpose of the group. My introduction tells others about me, but doesn’t necessarily relate to a particular class or group. Online learning should always be organized and purposeful to keep group members motivated and focused on the task at hand.

The lesson enhanced my understanding of open communication and the importance on a well set up LMS website. Ensuring students have the opportunity to easily comment, reply and react to each other’s posts is something that I had not considered in detail before.